My Many Kitchens..and Cooking - A Culinary Autobiography


































My Many Kitchens ..and Cooking
-         A Culinary Autobiography

As a lad if I was told
Nostradamus had prophesied in quatrain
A boy from a City of Joy in the East,
Who knows not his waist from his yeast
From nought, one day shall cook a feast
When with silver streaks his temples are seized”
I would have guffawed.

I had no inkling there cometh an age of Man
That witnesses a late bloom
Of hitherto fictitious epicurean flair;
Of a continually changing conversation
With cooking and the kitchen.

The first kitchen is mama’s breast
In between mewling and puking.
Food on tap, processed and packaged
Offering maximum nourishment.
Mine is not to reason why
Mine is but to consume ‘n cry
Like a Humvee guzzling gallons for every mile
Going nowhere, of course.

Advancing from the alimentary eternity of infancy
Early childhood is a binary
Of being teased or, tortured by tastes.
I prefer the kitchen floor savouring the flavours
Of chapati and dal  la Jaunpur by Shyam Lal
To the high table, laden with his insipid mince ‘n potato mash
Much to the consternation of my mother
And embarrassment of my cook.

The kitchen appears to shrink
As this ever-hungry whining school boy grows.
The relentless raids forever foraging the fridge
Dredging casseroles for everything from biryani to tetrazzini
Pilfering payesh and profiteroles
With the pestilential certitude of a rodent.
Who cared a toss about calories?!

Now the youth…
Somewhere between a lover sighing like a furnace
And a soldier seeking the bubble reputation
Deserts home…
The aromas of the kitchen left behind
Linger in the mind; that oasis of perpetual plenty
Singeing the stomach memory when most ravenous.

Alas! The pitiful pantry is a sorry substitute.
For the penniless student,
Expended in futile attempts to avoid starvation
With egg splattered all over the microwave
And the smokin’ rice burnt to black
That nearly triggered the fire alarm
While I dozed off.
A Mars bar and pouch of milk saves this life.

Meandering through bachelorhood
The Brahmacharya kitchen is freed of fixed geography.
Travelling everywhere the taste buds traipse.
From adda infinitum at tea stalls
Over chai ‘n samosas or, vada pavs
Traversing Bengal to Bhatinda via Ambur to Avadh.  
Thayir sadam to tandoori kababs,
Panta bhat to Puliyogare and Pollichathu
Mughlai parathas to maddur vadas
Tucking it away towards equatorial prosperity
At dhabas, Irani cafes and military hotels.
I still remain clueless about cooking…
Why bother how it all comes together…it  tastes good!

Once married and Grihastha…
I'm incarcerated by Cupid in the gulag of the kitchen
For what seems a life sentence without parole
Cutting vegetables, cleaning fish and washing dishes
For delectable food rations, which I daren't criticize...or else!

 The hum do hamaare do kitchen
Can now afford a cook!
A gastronomic fairy godmother accoutred in apron
Dishing out delicacies from Mangalore to Mandalay
At the flick of my finger.
The prodigious proficiency of prolific cooks under one roof
Crushes my culinary curiosity, fostering a feeling of inferiority
With it, the impetus to learn.

In the tide of turbulent times, 
The kitchen takes a curious turn
Now an operation managed by a single parent, for sportsmen
Combining carb load with proteins ‘n fibre intake-
Optimum nutrition for performance engineering.
Am I talking food or, fuelling Ferraris for Formula One?

Through the back door…  
Dietary interest makes a surreptitious entry
When power packed subways for school
Rockets my ego into the scrumptious stratosphere
Nought cuisine to haute cuisine -
Chef Zero to Michelin star in an instant!

From the comforts of my kitchen
I’m now the gastronaut sequestered in solitude
In perennial orbit…
With an astronomic vista on molecular gastronomy
Combing the continents for challenging cuisines
From Jambalaya to jalfrezi, khichdi to Kho
Ragi mudde to risottos, ceviche to sushi.
Never neglecting the diverse dals and rotis.

On the long road to Vanaprastha
Ere I shift into the lean and slipper’d pantaloon
It is revealed to me 
That food is the music of love
And I must play on but not in excess of it
Lest the appetite sicken and so die.

Seduced by the sensuality of spices,
The headiness of herbs, the fragrance of fruits
Inebriating the senses
I’m composing my complex background score
Orchestrating the heavy metal of pots ‘n pans
Accompanied by the operatic pressure cooker
Sometimes high hat, most often pan flute
With the chromatic riffs of the blender
Counterpoint to the pounding of the mortar and pestle.

That ends this strange eventful history.
Before I’m banished to mere oblivion,
Sans teeth, sans eyes, sans taste, sans everything
I shall eventually emerge triumphant
From my challenges with the chapati!

 ©2020 Ranjan Kamath

Comments

Most Popular

Photo Gallery on Pbase.com

Photo Gallery on Pbase.com
Surya Kiran Aerobatic Display